I have been thinking quite a bit about how lucky I am to be married to my husband. I have also been thinking about whether or not I tell him this enough. I mean, obviously, I tell him I love him.
But, do I make a point to tell him all of the things he does in a day that make me thankful to be married to him?
I often read about how annoying husbands can be, or what they can do to make our lives better. While this is fine (we all need to vent sometimes) it seems rare to read about the amazing things our husbands do.
There doesn’t seem to be enough out in the universe praising the men whom we share our lives with.
So, my goal for today was to sit down and come up with a list of all the little things that make my husband extra special.
I mean aside from the obvious.
He is a hunky firefighter, with a smile that lights up any room. But, I’m talking about the things I often take for granted.
So, even though he will probably hate the fact I’m doing this (sorry Babe, this is what happens when you marry a writer!), I have compiled a list of the reasons why he is awesome:
- He watches reality T.V. with me. He may very well hate every minute, but he never complains. And, he listens to me moan and groan about how ridiculous the Real Housewives are.
- He does his own laundry. He does our daughter’s laundry. He has been known to do my laundry. Yeah. I told you. He is awesome
- He cleans the bathrooms. Not a swipe of the vanity with the hand towel kind of clean. I mean full on, scrub the place from top to bottom kind of clean.
- He loves me even when I am PMS’ing. This is huge. I can be a real ‘you know what’ during this time. I am actually surprised he doesn’t pitch a tent in the backyard and stay there for 4-6 days. Instead, he brings me cookies and rubs my back.
- He is a great cook. As in he makes his own pasta sauce from scratch kind of cook.
- And, he does the dishes. Need I say more?
- He picks his shit up from off the floor. Most of the time. But, he does his own laundry. Who am I to complain if it doesn’t always hit the hamper?
- He plays Barbie’s with our daughter. And, he has a different voice for every doll.
- He can admit when he is wrong. I’m sure he does this because I am so bloody stubborn. Either way, I’ll take it.
- He makes me laugh. Cheesy jokes and all.
- He sends me random texts throughout the day. Some are appropriate; others are not. I appreciate both.
- He (mostly) lets me control the remote. Refer back to #1.
- He loves 80’s music. And, he knows all of the words. Every. Word.
- He makes a damn good Caesar. This is vital when you are a parent.
- He loves his job. As difficult and challenging as it can be, he wouldn’t trade it for the world.
- He looks great in a uniform. I know I said this wouldn’t go on the list, but how could it not?
- He puts his family first.
- He is the best Dad.
- He is the best husband.
- He is the best, best friend.
Life is short.
Tell the people in your life how much they mean to you.
Tell them how much you love them.
Tell them how much you appreciate the things they do.
If you are lucky enough to have snagged one of the good guys, take a minute. Think of all the little (but extremely important) reasons why you love him.
Then, take another minute, and thank him.