Have you heard of daddy daughter dates?
I know I have.
Actually, my husband and daughter have had many of these.
Daddy daughter dates are important in our household and here are five reasons why they are important to us as a family.
- Builds confidence: when my husband and daughter are together, she gets his undivided attention. They talk about what she loves and what may or may not be bothering her. By listening and understanding her, he gives our daughter the confidence to know that he will always be there for her, no matter what. These moments together allow our daughter to feel special, and loved.
- Builds strong relationships: Life is busy. This time between my husband and daughter is sacred and savored. At five-years-old, she is still young, but she is old enough to know already that her dad is present. It is our hope that if she will still go on dates with him as a teenager (we can hope!), that she will have an open and healthy bond where she will share her thoughts and feeling with him.
- Sets an example: Call me old fashioned, but what is wrong with teaching our children (not just our daughters) about manners, kindness and respect. We want our daughter to know that whatever relationship she is in, should be based on these things. These dates aren’t about teaching her that a man will do everything for her; they are to teach her that when you are loved, you are treated with love, kindness and respect. In turn, she will learn to treat her future partner in the same way.
- Fun: there is nothing better than seeing their faces when they return from special time together. As parents, we all have a universal goal: for our children to be happy. Setting aside time for a date is not only appropriate, but also encouraged in our household. They laugh together. They are silly together. They are together.
- Memories: I believe that these moments carved out in time will be memories that my daughter will cherish forever. She will always know that her dad was present, involved and wanted to spend time with her.
At the end of the day it is about the time we spend with our children. My daughter and I have mommy daughter dates, and my husband and her have daddy daughter dates. If we had a son, we would do the same.
We will continue to do our best to foster a strong and healthy relationship with our daughter now, with the hope that as she gets older she will continue to come to us with anything and everything. And, when she’s a teenager and would rather die than hang out with her uncool parents, we will both cherish the dates we had with her when we could.